It is not every other day a virtual best friend whom I consider very close to my heart asks me to do something for her. So when Anu asked me to write a guest post for her, how could I ever refuse? I made these melt in the mouth Maida Cake or Maida Burfi which happens to be a hot favorite of both me and my brother and this burfi is something that is made every year along with Gulab Jamoon by my mother at home during Diwali.
If you are a beginner in cooking and if you wish to stun your family and friends by making a sweet for them, look no further as this burfi is a perfect recipe for you as most of the cooking is done off the stove. It takes very few ingredients, less time and it requires no heavy duty stirring. Though one string consistency of the sugar syrup is required and even if you miss a step, you can always save this burfi without having to dump this in bin unlike other burfi recipes.
- The flour should get roasted well but make sure it done over low flame and take care not to burn it and change color.
- If in case while you are in Step – 7 you miss the time, the entire content will become crumbly once again. No need to fear, just keep it on the stove and cook over low flame for 2-3 mins, once again, the flour will loosen, and you can pour it into the plate.
- Traditionally no nuts are used in this recipe but if you want, you can use coarsely powdered cashew and almonds.
- You can skip ghee and do the entire burfi with vegetable shortening / vanaspati. You will not see any difference in taste or flavor.
- You can use any food color according to your wish.
- Reduce the flour by 1/4 cup and replace it with cocoa powder to get a chocolate maida burfi. However, do not add the cocoa powder while roasting flour but add it on step-4.