In my household, as far as soups go, I do not have the luxury of opting for any shortcuts like using store bought bouillon/soup cubes which can save a hell lot of time. Arjun loves soups and I try to make a soup at least once in a fortnight and it has to be from scratch. Usually, I just make a plain tomato soup for him but recently my kids have taken a sudden affinity to pasta.
Earlier they used to prefer only the noodles and did not much care for any other pasta, So I too stuck to the good old noodles and did not waste my time by venturing into different types of pasta recipes but all that changed thanks to their class mates. As they see the other kids bringing pasta in their lunch boxes, they too wanted to have at home. So first I made a mac and cheese for them, which they loved very much.
When I made the herb and cheese monkey bread for the We Knead to Bake group, Arjun wished that he had a bowl of soup to enjoy that bread. Usually I make a thin tomato soup for him, So when I once again tried the Pull Apart Bread, I made the soup creamier and a bit thick so that both of them together would make a wholesome satisfying meal for the kids.
Oh boy!!, the combo was just perfect, the cheesy, spicy Garlic smoked tomato dip pull apart bread when dunked into the bowl of creamy rich tomato soup with the pasta adding more bite was an experience that you would not want to miss out for anything.
Tomato Pasta Soup
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- Tomatoes, ripe – 4
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mixed dry herbs – 2 tsp
- Chilly, ripe/Jalapeño – 2
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pasta – 1/4 cup ( I used the elbow variety)
- Vegetable Stock – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Cube the onion and tomatoes. Mince the garlic and keep aside.
2. In a sauce pan bring water to a boil. Add few drops of oil and pasta and cook till al dente. Keep aside. Do not throw away the extra water.
3. Heat butter in a pressure pan. Add bay leaf and add minced garlic and sauté till they are mildly browned.
4. Add the onion and sauté till translucent. Now add the cubed tomatoes, slit ripe chilly/jalapeño, mixed dry herbs, cinnamon powder and sauté for a minute.
5. Add 1/2 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. You can also cook it in a sauce pan till the tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Fish out the bay leaf and discard it. Let the mixture cool down. Tip the entire contents in a blender and process till smooth.
7. Return the soup to a sauce pan. Add vegetable stock, salt and bring to a boil.
8. Now add the cooked pasta along with the water and simmer the soup for 5-7 minutes and the starch will thicken the soup considerably.
9. Pour and serve soup in individual bowls along with croutons or with bread like I did.
1. instead of vegetable stock you can use chicken broth or store bought soup cubes.
2. Instead of cinnamon powder, you can use the stick but it will be difficult to fish it out.
3. You can also grate cheese on top before serving.
4. Feel free to use any variety of pasta.
5. I used the hybrid variety of tomato, so there were few seeds in it. You can also blanch the tomatoes before cooking it.