Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

This is my to go, never fail recipe for an eggless vanilla sponge cake. It comes out airy, spongy, light as a feather and it also tastes similar to the butter cake that you get at the bakery. It was my little one’s birthday and as usual I ordered the cake from the shop as I cannot bake a cake that is big enough to serve all his friends owing to a small oven. But I always make a small cake for him at home. This one happens to be his absolute favorite and this time he wanted to do the frosting himself. So I just made the frosting and both the kids had a great time spreading the frosting all over the cake amidst the finger licking.
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
We, the Avant Garde Cookies are also celebrating our First Anniversary and what better way than to celebrate it with a piece of cake. I’m really glad to be a part of the group for having come this far in having covered various aspects of cooking and the journey so far has been great. Here’s to another year for us.

Eggless Birthday Cake with Frosting

Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Prep time: 10 mins  |  Cook time: 45 mins  |  Serves: One 8″ Cake
Cuisine: American  |  Category: Desserts

Ingredients:

• All purpose flour – 1 cup
  • Corn flour – 4 tbsp
  • Baking powder – 1 tsp
  • Butter – 1/2 cup
  • Condensed milk – 1/4 cup (see Notes)
  • Sugar (heaped) – 1/4 cup
  • Milk – 1/4 cup
  • Vanilla essence – 2 tsp

For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:

• Butter – 1/2 cup
  • Powdered sugar – 2 cups
  • Cocoa powder – 5 tbsp
  • Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
  • Salt – 1 pinch
  • Milk – 1 tbsp

Instructions:

1. Sieve together flour, corn flour and baking powder together at least thrice. Powder the sugar and keep aside. Grease and flour an 8 inch pan and keep it ready.
  2. Beat butter till fluffy, add powdered sugar and beat well. Add condensed milk and beat once more.
  3. Add milk, mix well and switch to a spatula. Add flour mixture in batches and mix in the same direction.
  4. Finally add vanilla essence, mix well and transfer the batter to the baking pan.
  5. Preheat the oven at 180 C (360 F) and bake for 40-45 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Let the cake cool down completely and invert it onto a plate to do frosting.

For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:

7. Make sure that the butter is in room temperature and softened. Sift together cocoa powder and powdered sugar and keep aside.
  8. In a mixing bowl cream butter, add the sifted dry ingredients into the bowl and mix till the sugar is absorbed by the butter well.
  9. Now add in vanilla essence, salt and milk and beat for 2-3 minutes. I used my hand mixer but you can also use the balloon whisk for the mixing.
  10. If you want the frosting to be thin, spreading consistency, add more milk by 1 tbsp at a time and in case if you want the frosting to be stiff consistency to pipe it out, add more sugar little at a time to get the exact preferred consistency.
  11. Spread on the cake all over evenly and decorate either with colored sugar sprinkles, silver balls or chocolate curls.
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Birthday Cake

Notes:

1. The batter will indeed be thick so do not add more milk to thin the batter out.
  2. You can replace condensed milk with thick Yogurt, but make sure you also increase the sugar by another 1/2 cup. The yogurt should be fresh and not sour.
  3. If after adding milk, you find the mixture to be a bit curdled, it is quite normal. Do not freak out and stop, but continue with the process.
  4. You can also use 2 eggs instead of condensed milk and yogurt but make sure you add one at a time and beat well after each addition.

Comments

• says

You can make without the corn flour too. Basically the combo of APF and cornflour is the cake flour which will give you wonderful fine crumbs. So you will not get that those crumbs if you skip cornflour.

1. Anonymous says

When you say “powder the sugar”, do you mean to use “powdered” (also known as “confectionary” sugar)? OR do you mean “fine” granulated sugar? Also, I would like to use cake flour (which has the cornstarch added already) instead of the all purpose+cornstarch mix. Do you recommend 1 cup + 4 tblsp. cake flour? (it is also presifted so it has a finer texture and is better for cakes)? THANKS! My egg allergic son thanks you too :-)

• says

You mean in the frosting, You can use confectionery sugar aka icing sugar. I powdered the granulated sugar as I did not have icing sugar at hand. I used the combo of APF and cornflour as I don’t get cake flour at my place. So if you are using cake flour, please use 1+1/4 cup. You are most welcome and hope your son enjoys it too.

2. says

Hi Radhika,

Will the frosting melt away if kept out of the refridgerator for long? Could you also provide me the recipe for Swiss Meringue Icing (eggless) ? As we would prefer less sweet frosting..

• says

No it will not melt away Renu. It was pretty hot time of the year when I baked this cake and it stayed perfect without me having to refrigerate it. Regarding Swiss Meringue Icing, I do not think its possible for an eggless one as it needs egg whites. If I come across a recipe I shall share it with you.

3. says

Hi Radhika,

4. says

Hi Radhika..

Is the frosting likely to melt away if kept out of the refridgerator for long? Could you help me with the Swiss Meringue Frosting (eggless)..Its very less sweet compared to buttercream right? We just love that… I am not so experienced as I dont bake much… and I’ve never tried frosting a cake too.. But i just love to learn it.. Hope you can help me..

5. Anonymous says

Hi I have just tried your lovely eggless cake mix. It was delicious ! thanks you so much – after months of searching for eggless cake recipes I have finally found one that is perfect

thanks
    Jass from UK

6. Anonymous says

Hi Radhika,
    Your cake looks yummy. I am planning to bake this cake. What is 1 cup size in ur receipe ? Is it 250 ml?
    Thanks

7. says

Hi Radhika,

Would it be possible for you to give all the ingredient measurements in mls and gms as the Cup measurement is so difficult as people might have US/UK measuring cups .
    I feel in baking it is most ideal to mention measurements in gms/mls if you have a winner recipe.
    I am so tempted to try this recipe , but skeptical about it fearin the measurements might go wrong.

Thanks in advance

regs,
    Priya

8. Anonymous says

Hi there, this cake tastes great but I’ve made it twice today and it didn’t rise properly either time.i’m not sure what I’m doing wrong
    Rhian

• Anonymous says

I made this cake, the taste was great but it did not rise. Any missing ingredient like baking soda? Please reply to me asap because I want to make it for my sister’s 50th April 1st, 2014.

• says

There is no baking soda for this recipe. If its not rising then check the freshness of the baking powder and also make sure the oven is preheated well and that you are using an appropriate baking pan for the above said measures.

• says

Even I made this cake today. The taste was awesome but it didn’t rise as much as it is shown in this picture. Infact I would say it just rose. I think either the flour quantity has to be reduced to a bit or increase the quantity of the liquid item like milk to some extent coz the consistency of the batter was pretty hard. It should neither be too hard nor too watery. Rest is very good.

9. Kiran says

Radhika,
    I made this cake today and it’s by far the best eggless sponge i’ve ever made or eaten.Thanks a ton for sharing the recipe.
    Cheers
    Kiran

10. Anonymous says

Please can you write the measurements in grams? I have tried eggless before but failed due to cup measures. Many thanks nikki

11. Upma Dhingra says

Hey Radhika.,
    Whe kind of baking pan do u suggest fr this cake..?? I only bake eggless cakes but they just dnt rise … White or dark metal pans make a difference..??
    Tku ..